March is the perfect time to begin preparing your garden for Spring. It’s hard to imagine that Spring is close while experiencing freezing temperatures and snow here in Louisville this week, but it is right around the corner!
Everyone will have different tasks depending on their type of garden and where they live. We are in Zone 6b, with cold Winters and hot Summers, and everything in between. If you’re in a different area, use our March gardening to-do list as inspiration and create your own to fit your needs.
Here are our March gardening tasks:
- Check on our planter boxes, pots, containers, and tools, to make sure everything is clean, in good shape, and ready for the season.
- Remove any old plant debris from our raised beds.
- Add compost to our soil.
- Fertilize our strawberry plants with a 10-10-10 fertilizer.
- Check on our perennials. So far we have strawberries, chives, oregano, and mint emerging.
- Start seeds indoors for plants that will do well in early Spring. We’re starting some different herbs and leafy greens like kale and lettuce right now.
You may also want to do things like:
- prune trees and shrubs
- plan your garden layout
- order seeds
- plant seedlings outdoors under a portable greenhouse
- turn your compost
There is a lot to do to prepare, but following a checklist and taking notes each season that you can review is so helpful. How do you stay organized when it comes to planning and maintaining your garden? Is there anything you do this time of year that we didn’t mention? Let us know in the comments!